Monday, June 9, 2014

5-Year Plan

I still remember growing up and being told that most of the most successful people (by western society's standards) make long-term plans for their lives. They have a one-year plan, a five-year plan, and usually, a ten-year plan, too. I never was too keen on this idea of making long-term plans for my life, because I've never really known what I wanted to do, and felt like I could barely make plans for the weekend, so I had no business making plans for where and who I'd be in 10 years.

It was especially fantastic when, as the time to graduate college closed in, people would ask me about what I wanted to do after, and I would generally respond with an, "I don't know, I just really want to travel." This often led to, which in their minds must have been an insightful way to try and resolve my unknowing, "Well, where do you see yourself in five years? In ten years?" This question, of course, led to another, "I'm not sure," usually thrown in with a bit of a, "I don't even know what I want to do next week, or where I'll be then, so how can I know about anything in 10 years!?" Sometimes I would try to appease them by saying that I thought I could see myself with a family, hopefully living in a place I intended to stay in for at least 5-10 years, maybe with a couple kids, and a job that I'd been working in for at least five years or so. It all sounded okay in theory, but never felt right in my heart. And not much has changed about that, except that I now know I would love to have found my lifemate within the next 5-10 years, and within 10 years, I'd love to have a kid or two.

But one thing has changed, and I am here to proudly say that I have realized what my five-year plan is! It's a bit unconventional, but then again, so is the life I've decided to live and the person that I am! And so without further adieu, my plan for the next five years of my life is as follows:

T R A V E L
All around/over the world. 
Travel through Asia, through South America, and up Central America. 
Africa, Europe, Australia, and Antarctica. 
Leave no continent untouched, and no country left behind!

L I V E
In the moment. 
For the now.
In at least four countries.
On at least three continents.
Life to the fullest, and more importantly,
With NO REGRETS!

E X P L O R E
The world.
Cultures, foods, languages, and places.
Myself, others, and how we work together.
Everywhere I possibly can, and everyone's minds I meet. 
The oceans, the seas, the mountains, forests and rivers.
THE EARTH and all the options out there!

E A T
My way through the world.
The typical foods of the places I'm in.
Things that scare me, 
and the most delicious looking things in the world.
Without regretting it and considering form!

L E A R N
At least five languages.
How other people do things, and how/what they think.
About cultures and countries.
About myself.
To make music and art.
To talk to God all day, everyday.
For as long as I'm alive!

P R A C T I C E
Gratitude and generosity.
Unconditional love.
Speaking blessings into the souls of others.
Yoga, meditation, prayer & religion.
Conscious living.
Sustainability!

G R O W
Mentally and physically.
Into the person God wants me to be.
With others, and by myself.
My own food to eat and share.
Beneficial thoughts in my mind.
FOREVER!

E X P A N D
My mind.
My limits.
My knowledge.
My reach.
My consciousness!

S P E N D
Good time with good people.
My life helping others.
Time learning and growing.
Time by myself.
My days making a positive difference.
My energy wisely.
My thoughts on good.
My life doing all the things I've put in my five-year plan, not just for the next five years, 
but all the years I call this body home!

- - - - - - -




Some ideas I intend to turn into realities within the next five years:
  • "One-year" (open-ended) backpacking trip through Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South America, and Central America
  • Live in Hawaii and volunteer on organic farms
  • A year living/working through Africa
  • Learn Italian, French, Portuguese (in Brazil), German, and perhaps Japanese (Japanese is a life goal)
  • Become a Reiki master 
  • Get certified in Kundalini Yoga
  • Minimize my global footprint and always make conscious purchases (support local and/or sustainable products)
  • Have wandered 75% of the world
  • Live and travel without money
  • Learn how to play an instrument, preferably the banjo and bass guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment